Marriage is a special occasion that brings families together. It is a precious moment for the couple but sometimes, it can lead to a significant financial undertaking. The costs spiral endlessly from hall bookings to jewellery, from the food to the photography.
This is where a personal loan for marriage comes into play. This guide will walk you through this financial product, the marriage loan scheme, and everything you need to know.
Understanding Personal Loans
Personal loans are unsecured loans provided by financial institutions. These are used to cover immediate or substantial expenses, including medical emergencies, education fees, and, in our context, marriage expenses.
- Nature of Personal Loans: Unlike a car or home loan, personal loans are unsecured. It means you do not have to provide any collateral to avail of the loan.
- Usage: Personal loans offer flexibility in their use. In the case of a marriage loan scheme, the funds can be used for any marriage-related expense, from booking the venue to purchasing attire.
Why Personal Loan for Marriage?
Tapping into savings or borrowing from friends and family are conventional ways to finance a wedding. However, these methods might only sometimes be feasible or sufficient.
- Financial Burden: With the cost of Indian weddings escalating, the financial burden can be immense. A personal loan helps to spread this cost over a while, making it more manageable.
- Comparison with Other Methods: Unlike borrowing from friends or family, a marriage loan scheme has structured repayment plans. You don’t have to worry about strained relationships due to late or incomplete repayments.
- Pros and Cons: The benefits of a personal loan for marriage are evident – immediate availability of funds, no need for collateral, and flexible repayment plans. However, keep in mind that these loans come with an interest charge.
Personal Loan Eligibility
To secure a personal loan for marriage, you must meet specific criteria set by the lender.
- Basic Eligibility: The criteria include age (between 21 and 60 years), employment status (salaried or self-employed), and a minimum income threshold, varying from lender to lender.
- CIBIL Check for Loan: CIBIL score is a three-digit number ranging from 300 to 900, reflecting your creditworthiness. A higher score improves your chances of loan approval and might fetch you a lower interest rate. Therefore, a CIBIL check for a loan is integral to the loan application process.
- Specific Lender Requirements: Each lender might have additional conditions like minimum work experience or a certain annual income level. Always check these specific requirements before applying.
How to Apply for a Personal Loan for Marriage?
Now that we understand the eligibility, let’s walk you through the application process.
- Initial Research: Compare different lenders and their marriage loan schemes. Look for factors like interest rates, loan tenure, processing fees, and prepayment charges.
- Application Submission: After selecting a lender, fill up their loan application form. It can often be done online for convenience. Upload the required documents like identity proof, address proof, income proof, etc.
- Loan Approval: After the lender performs their checks, including a CIBIL check, they will approve your loan if everything is satisfactory.
- Disbursement: Once approved, the loan amount is disbursed within a few hours.
Choosing the Right Lender
Choosing a lender is important in securing a personal loan for marriage.
- Interest Rates: A lower interest rate means lower EMIs. However, do not overlook other charges like processing fees or prepayment penalties.
- Loan Tenure: A longer tenure means lower EMIs but a higher total interest payout. Choose a balance that works for your financial situation.
- Prepayment Options: Some lenders might charge a penalty for the prepayment of a loan. If you expect to be able to prepay, choose a lender with favourable repayment terms.
A personal loan for marriage can be a financial saviour during hectic and expensive marriage preparations. However, it comes with its pros and cons. We hope this guide helps you understand the marriage loan scheme better and aids in making an informed decision that suits your financial situation.
Read more blogs on our website